Hall of Fame, class of 2018
Cleveland drafted Thome out of college in 1989, and sent him to the Gulf Coast League that summer. He started the ‘90 season in the Appalachian League with the Burlington Indians, then slugged his way to a mid-season promotion High-A Kinston. He started 1991 at Double-A Canton-Akron, and finished the minor league season with the Pacific Coast League’s Colorado Springs Sky Sox. He was called up to Cleveland that September.
Minor league teams that Jim Thome played for en route to the majors:
- GCL Indians (Gulf Coast League)
- Burlington Indians (Appalachian League)
- Kinston Indians (Carolina League)
- Canton-Akron Indians (Eastern League)
- Colorado Springs Sky Sox (Pacific Coast League)